Join our Team!
Are you passionate about helping our animal friends find confidence, joy, and a loving home? Joining Stray Rescue of St. Louis will do just that. At Stray Rescue, we dedicate our time and careers to helping animals that have been abused and neglected, and place them in a loving home. We need you to help us give these animals loving care and a second lease on life. If this is something that you love doing, please fill out an application below.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Stray Rescue of St. Louis is committed to equal employment opportunity. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: Veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any other protected class under federal, state or local law. This type of impartial treatment includes all aspects of our human resources programs including, but not limited to: recruiting efforts, hiring, compensation, transfers, promotions and discharge.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY ACT
Stray Rescue of St. Louis is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities, which may include providing reasonable accommodation where appropriate. In general, it is your responsibility to notify your supervisor of the need for an accommodation. Upon doing so, Stray Rescue may ask you for information from your treating physician about the type of accommodation that may be necessary or the functional limitations caused by your disability.
Current Positions we are hiring for:
Stray Rescue of St. Louis
2320 Pine Street, 63103
Stray Rescue of St. Louis employees dedicate their time and career in helping animals that have been abused and neglected and place them in a loving home. We need Caregivers to help us give these animals loving care and a second lease on life. If this is something that you love doing, please come to our open interviews. WEEKENDS ARE REQUIRED.
Classification: Part-time, hourly, non-exempt, EVENINGS & WEEKENDS REQUIRED. Full time positions also available.
Job Relationships: Reports directly to Director of Animal Care
Stray Rescue of St. Louis is a smoke-free environment. Smoking is not permitted in any Stray Rescue building facilities or vehicle. Stray Rescue is also a Drug-Free Workplace, employees are subject to random drug testing from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities :* Companion Animal Care*
- Provides adequate food and water to companion animals daily
- Cleans and disinfects companion apartments daily
- Reports companion animal health or temperament abnormalities to supervisor
- Ensures that kennel environment is safe for animals and people
- Walking and exercising companion animals in our care
- Guiding/assisting volunteers on a daily basis
- Advocating for each companion animal
- Report improper handling of companion animals to supervisor
- Ensuring that all companion animals in our care have a safe and enriching environment
- Other duties as assigned
Cleaning and Kennel/Shelter Maintenance
- Distributes clean product and supplies throughout shelter (washing dishes etc.)
- Operates laundry machines and organizes laundry used in shelter; distributes bedding throughout shelter
- Cleans cages, and animal items/equipment
- Restocks animal areas with supplies and equipment; maintains clean and well stocked work space.
- Janitorial duties as assigned
- Distributes Stray Rescue of Saint Louis in-kind donations to appropriate areas
- Performs special projects as assigned by Chief Shelter Operations Officer
- Provides quality service to clients, volunteers, and colleagues recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization.
- Represents Stray Rescue of Saint Louis in a professional and courteous manner at all times.
- Attends and participates in Stray Rescue of Saint Louis training programs as assigned; may attend training opportunities to facilitate advancement within the organization.
- Follows all safety guidelines to ensure a safe work environment.
- Takes immediate action to address any safety concerns or noncompliance of safety rules that could put an employee, volunteer, clients, animal, or the organization at risk.
- Will be responsible and respectful of all personal protective equipment (PPE)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A highly motivated, out-going, polite individual. A team player, able to work in a fast-paced environment and handle several tasks at once. Knowledge of animal breeds and behavior helpful. No allergies to animals. Sincere interest in animal welfare and the mission of the Stray Rescue of Saint Louis.
- Work is performed in a kennel/shelter setting. Exposure to disinfectant solutions when in kennel area. Subject to animal bites and scratches while handling animal of questionable temperament. Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations. Standing on feet up to 10 hours per day with walking, bending, squatting, lifting. Ability to handle/walk dogs in excess of 100lb
- Physically able to perform strenuous manual labor outdoors in extreme heat and cold.
- In addition to the duties listed above, the Center expects the following of each employee to: adheres to SRSTL policies and procedures; works in a safe manner; acts as a role model within and outside the Center; performs duties as workload necessitates; maintains a positive and respectful attitude; communicates regularly with supervisor about department issues; demonstrates efficient time management and prioritizes workload; consistently reports to work on time prepared to perform duties of the position; meets department productivity standards and completes other duties as assigned.
The following is not intended to be a comprehensive list of the essential functions of this position, but rather a general description of some of the requirements necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Must be at least 18 years of age. Some animal handling experience preferred. Dog familiarity highly desirable.
- WEEKENDS REQUIRED
- Must have good verbal and written communication, customer service, and prioritization skills. Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Able to work and participate in both a team and self-directed environment. Must be able to work closely with animal (dog, cat, exotics) hair/dander.
- Experience with dogs and cats preferred. Employee must demonstrate ability to work effectively with others (including co-workers, customers, and others) by sharing ideas in a constructive and positive manner; listening to and objectively considering ideas and suggestions from others; keeping commitments; keeping others informed of work progress, timetables and issues; and addressing problems and issues constructively to find mutually acceptable and practical business solutions.
- Employee must demonstrate regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
Physical Requirement of the Position Though work assignments may vary from day to day, this position typically requires: bending, stooping, twisting, crouching, carrying and/or pulling up to 100 lbs.; lifting and/or pushing up to 100 lbs.; reaching above, at and below shoulder level; standing and/or walking continuously; sitting rarely; typing rarely; writing frequently; talking and hearing continuously; and exposure to animal waste, water and disinfectant continuously. A more detailed analysis of the physical requirements is available during interview. Standing on feet up to 9 hours per day with walking, bending, squatting, lifting. Ability to handle/walk dogs in excess of 100 lb. Physically able to perform strenuous manual labor outdoors in extreme heat and cold.