Volunteer Code of Conduct
All new volunteers will sign this at their orientation
Stray Rescue of St. Louis relies upon the efforts of our many volunteers to carry out the mission and vision of the organization. Stray Rescue of St. Louis asks all of our volunteers to adhere to the highest standard of conduct & professionalism so that we may continue to maintain our reputation as a premier rescue organization.
Stray Rescue of St. Louis' (SRSTL) Code of Conduct reinforces our values and expectations. As a non-profit organization, SRSTL believes that every animal that comes into our care deserves to be healthy, safe and well-loved. We seek to nurture the lives of these dogs and cats by providing quality care, responsible and loving adoptive homes, and by promoting humane treatment through education and awareness. The Code also helps create a safe, healthy and positive work environment. In general, conduct on or off the job or time volunteered, that adversely affects SRSTL or unduly interferes with Stray Rescue's operations will violate the Code. SRSTL expects that its employees, volunteers, and members will use common sense and good judgement at all times to determine whether their conduct is appropriate.
The Code of Conduct includes, but is not limited to, the below:
In performing any service for Stray Rescue of St. Louis, representing Stray Rescue of St. Louis, or engaging in any Stray Rescue of St. Louis activity, I agree to meet the following standards of conduct:
- 1. I will represent Stray Rescue of St. Louis in a polite and professional manner at all times.
- 2. I will treat all SRSTL staff, donors, clients, and animals with respect and kindness at all times while engaging in SRSTL activities regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, national origin or citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, or disability. I understand that unacceptable behavior includes, but is not limited to, displaying discourtesy, engaging in rude behavior, or using verbal, written, physical, or visual means to harass any individual associated or doing business with SRSTL.
- 3. I will refrain from engaging in religious or partisan political activity while acting on behalf of or as a representative of SRSTL. This activity could jeopardize our organization's ability to continue to obtain donations and its status as an internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3) charitable organization.
- 4. I will not operate or act in any manner that is contrary to the best interest of SRSTL.
- 5. I will attend any and all Orientation and Training sessions required for my Volunteer Assignment.
- 6. I will wear the appropriate attire for my Volunteer Assignment, as outlined by SRSTL policies.
- 7. I will observe all health and safety rules for both people and animals.
- 8. I will arrive on time and be reliable for my Volunteer Assignment.
- 9. I will not accept or seek on behalf of any person, any financial advantage or gain as a result of my affiliation with SRSTL.
- 10. I understand that it is prohibited to report to my volunteer shift unfit or using, selling, or being under the influence of alcohol whether on SRSTL time or other SRSTL premises.
- 11. I understand that it is prohibitied to report to my volunteer shift unfit or using, possessing, distributing or being under the influence of illegal drugs whether on SRSTL time or any SRSTL premises.
- 12. I will not publicly use any SRSTL affiliation in connection with the promotion of partisan politics, religious matters, or positions on any issue not in conformity with the official position of SRSTL and without the express written permission from SRSTL.
- 13. I will respect and maintain the confidentiality of all privileged information related to SRSTL. I will not disclose any confidential SRSTL information that is available solely as a result of my affiliation with SRSTL to any person not authorized to receive such information or use any such confidential SRSTL information to the disadvantage of SRSTL.
- 14. I will not operate or act in a manner that creates a conflict with the interests of SRSTL and any organization in which I have a personal, business, or financial interest. I shall disclose such conflict of interest to the SRSTL Volunteer Coordinator upon becoming aware of the conflict.
- 15. I will contact my Volunteer Coordinator with questions or concerns about SRSTL's procedures, interpersonal communications or my volunteer responsibilities.
- 16. I will follow the proper escalation process to address questions or concerns not resolved through my Volunteer Coordinator. I agree to conduct myself in a positive and creative manner in my efforts to resolve issues and/or concerns.
I understand that:
- 1. Volunteers who do not adhere to the Code of Conduct set forth above or who fail to satisfactorily perform their Volunteer Assignment are subject to dismissal.
- 2. Volunteer Assignments are "at will" and may be terminated by SRSTL at any time, with or without cause.
SRSTL reserves the right to modify its Volunteer Policies at any time. I understand that changes to the Volunteer Policies will be posted on the website and that it is my responsibility to apprise myself of and to follow the current Volunteer Policies. I understand and agree that if accepted as a volunteer, all services performed by me will be performed by me will be performed on a strictly voluntary basis, and that I will receive no remuneration, pay or compensation of any kind, that I am not an employee of SRSTL, nor otherwise derive any benefits normally available to employees of SRSTL. If I am unable to perform volunteer duties at any time, including because I wish to terminate my volunteer relationship with SRSTL, I will notify the appropriate individuals immediately and with as much notice as possible.